Forget about procedures and complicated formalities


Studying abroad can be one of the most enriching experiences of your life, but also a number of administrative transactions have to be made, in many cases these can become difficult and time taking.

Both the Student Visa and the NIE (Foreign Student Number) are legal documents which have to be acquired to come to Spain. Some students lose valuable opportunities of admission in education centres or obtaining economical financing aid by beginning the emigration proceedings too late.

In Homologation Students Services we undertake all the administrative proceedings, conducting all the documentation totally confidential, in an agile, easy and economic manner. During all this process you will have the help and security of a legal department with more than 25 years experience in this particular field.


All persons wishing to expedite formation studies in Spain, investigation or voluntary for more than 90 days, must request a student visa, with the exception of citizens or residents in member countries of the European Union.

If the studies are for a period of less than 3 months a short term tourist visa will be issued, also known as the Schengen Visa, always depending that the nationality of the visitor requires an entry visa to Spain.


The Spanish NIE numer, short for Número de Identificación de Extranjero, is a Foreigner Identification Number issued by the Administración General del Estado (General Administration of the State) as a fiscal identification number for foreigners who want to stay more than 3 months in Spain. The Spanish NIE number is basically used as a code to serve people who don’t have Spanish Nationality. It is of essential for virtually every activity that requires your identification. Many people are not aware of the real importance of the NIE number. For example, your very first steps after moving to Spain, like opening a bank account and getting internet/phone contracts, will require a NIE.


All European Citizens who are in Spain for more than three months are required to register with the foreign register during the first 90 days from arrival, obtaining a Certificate of Registration for European citizens of the European Union.


When a non EU citizen travels to Spain for a period exceeding six months, whether for work, study, family reasons or whatever, within 30 days of arrival they must go to the foreign office to apply for a green card.


If you have been residing in Spain for more than one year, we will help with the renewal of the NIE.

It is important that you know:

  • You only need to obtain the NIE if your stay is going to be longer than 3 months. If your stay is going to be less than 90 days you can identify yourself with your passport.
  • No matter whether you are a citizen in or out of the UE you must obtain one.
  • The number you are assigned will be permanent independent of your legal or working situation in Spain and independent of the residency permission you have to renew.
  • The NIE will always identify you in Spain, but will not assure legal residence.
  • The NIE is necessary apart from identification, to open a bank account in a Spanish bank, request a mobile or cellular telephone contract with a Spanish operator, make any kind of economic transactions, tax statements, buy a house or car, procedures and a long etc…
  • If you come with family, all members of the family unit must obtain their own NIE.

Frequent Questions:

Do I have to request a student visa to study Spanish in Spain? You don’t need a visa if you are a resident in the Schengen area: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Romania, Sweden, and Switzerland.

You need a visa to study Spanish for more than 3 months if you are from one of these countries: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, United States, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong – Special Administrative Region (Citizens of the Republic of China), Israel, Japan , Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Macau – Special Administrative Region (Citizens of the Republic of China), Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, Norway, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Republic of Korea, San Marino, Vatican, Singapore, Uruguay, Venezuela.

You will always need a visa if you are from one of these countries: Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Burma / Myanmar, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Cambodia, Cameroon, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Ecuador, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, Eritrea, Ethiopia, the Philippines, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia , Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Kiribati, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Northern Marianas, Morocco, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau Papua New Guinea, Peru, Qatar, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Dominican Republic, Russia, Rwanda, Solomon Islands, Samoa, St. Vincent and Grenadines, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal , Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Syria, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Thailand, Taiwan, Tanzania, Tajikistan, East Timor, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Turkey, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Palestine Authority, East Timor.

What proof do I have that I have requested a visa? When you present your request, the consulate or Embassy has to give you a stamped copy of the application where the date of presentation and place must appear. In the case that you are not given the copy, they must send you it by registered post to you address or the one that’s on the application.

How long should it take to receive a student visa? The maximum time for a student visa should be no more than one month.

How long do I have to collect the visa once it has been issued?  Two months from the moment of notification.

If my student visa is refused, can I reclaim? The refusal of a student visa as an administrative process has the possibility of reapplying.

Can someone else collect my visa? No, it must be collected personally.

If I have my students visa to enter Spain. Can I move freely to all other European Union countries? The fact that there are no border controls among the European Union Countries does not imply that you can travel freely through these countries. Through HSS we can make the necessary procedures to obtain the authorization which will allow you to travel out of Spain.

What happens if my entry stamp is not been stamped on the passport? You must ask that your passport be stamped otherwise you cannot prove that you are in Spain. You can always go to the airport police station with your flight ticket and ask them to stamp your passport.

With a visa or entry stamp am I a resident? No with a visa and while it is in effect you are in a “legal” situation in Spain, but you can only be a resident if a residency permit with or without work.

What must I do when I arrive in Spain? During the first month of your stay in Spain you must apply for the NIE, through HSS we can handle all the administrative procedures so that you can obtain it in a fast and easy manner.

Can my family come with me? Yes, but they have to obtain also a specific visa.

Can I prolong the time of my visa or entry stamp? Yes, you can ask for a prolongation for your studies as long as the initial stay is longer than 6 months, that you are registered on a Spanish course, prove that you have passed the course in Spain, prove that you have economic means to cover your needs.

How long can you ask for the prolongation? You can ask for a prolongation of 1 year maximum, you can request the prolongation during the 60 days prior to the expiry date on your students card. You can also request the prolongation during the expiry of your card, but you could have problems or penalizations.

More information

I have read and accept the Legal advice