The NIE (Foreign Resident I.D. Number)

What is it?

The NIE is the I.D. number of foreign nationals. It is a personal, single and exclusive number.

The process begins once you have arrived in Spain.  Anyone wishing to reside in Spain, regardless of the reason for their stay or of their nationality, must hold a document showing their identity number.

NIE FOR EU CITIZENS, if you are a European student and are going to reside in Spain for a period in excess of 3 months, you must apply for a NIE.

EU citizens intending to stay in Spain for more than 3 months are under the obligation of registering in the Register of Foreign Nationals during the first 90 days following their arrival, thereby obtaining a European Union Citizen’s Registration Certificate and a NIE.

NIE FOR NON-EU CITIZENS, if you are a non-European student and are going to reside in Spain for a period in excess of 6 months, you must apply for a NIE.

When a non-EU citizen travels to Spain for a period of more than 6 months, whether for reasons of work, studies, family ties or others, they must go to the foreign national office during the first 30 days following their arrival and apply for a residence card.

RENEWAL OF THE NIE, if you have already been residing in Spain for more than one year, we will help you with the renewal of your NIE.

What is it for?

The NIE is necessary, in addition to confirming your identity, in order to open a bank account in Spain, apply for a mobile phone line with a Spanish operator, carry out financial transactions, file your tax returns, purchase a home or a car, transact any business or formalities with the national and local public administrations, among many other processes….

If you know what you have to do and you don’t do it, then you are worse off than before.

Lidia Sanchez (Perú)

Thanks to Homologation Student Services receiving the N.I.E card was a fast and easy process. They asses me about the documentation I needed and informed me about all the steps that had to be taken and then they accompanied me to the police station to do the paperwork.

You Study. We Help

Contact us

Have you finished your school studies?
Are you already enrolled in a Spanish university?
The person responsible for the treatment is Homologation Student Services. The purpose of the collection of your data is to meet your requests for information, without transferring your data to third parties. You have the right to know what information we have about you, correct it or delete it as explained in the Privacy Policy